Rear wheel removal on the cheap

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Rear wheel removal on the cheap

Postby Animal on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:44 pm

Thought I should share my plan with you all.

First things first, pop down your local car accesories shop, and buy yourself a pair of axle stands and one 4 or 5ft rectangle roof bar (preferably steel and plastic coated)

Unbolt the RH footpeg assy as it gets in the way

Now whack the roof bar through the hole at the bottom of the frame, just under the front of the brake lever you've just removed.

Adjust the axle stands so that when the bike is vertical, they're just above the height of the bar, then simply place the RH one under the bar as you lift the bike off the sidestand, and lift the other end of the bar onto the other stand.

Works a treat.

Note: I haven't tried leaving it on the bar when removing the front wheel, so if anyone does, please let me know how you get on...
Animal
Smith

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:24 am

That's a good suggestion, but does anybody know how to just jack-up the bike from under the middle using a standard auto jack? The exhaust headers are exposed there and I don't know if they will support the weight of the bike on a jack, even if a board of some kind is used to distribute the force (which I would think would be a must).

I'm considering getting one of those motorcycle center lifts that Sears sells (you may have seen Bob Villa hawking them during one of his many TV commercials for Craftsman products), but I don't know how to position it so that the K-S is balanced and secure while to avoiding any damage to the bike.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. PepBoys is selling cheap knock-off versions of that lift for around $60 US (just like they're selling cheap knock-off versions of everything else they can get from China, like dirt-bikes, scooters, pocket-bikes, etc...), but I don't know if I'd trust to securely hold up a valuable bike. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with the PepBoys version.

Postby Dan on Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:22 am

one 4 or 5ft rectangle roof bar

Hmmm. I wonder what that is?

Sears sells (you may have seen Bob Villa hawking them during one of his many TV commercials for Craftsman products),

Sears = a US department store chain

Bob Villa = a US exile from a public tv show now doing commercials for Sears

Craftsman = a brand of tools sold by Sears

HTH...
I currently ride an Aprilia Futura
Dan
Smith

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:09 am

Dan wrote:
one 4 or 5ft rectangle roof bar

Hmmm. I wonder what that is?

Sears sells (you may have seen Bob Villa hawking them during one of his many TV commercials for Craftsman products),

Sears = a US department store chain

Bob Villa = a US exile from a public tv show now doing commercials for Sears

Craftsman = a brand of tools sold by Sears

HTH...

Sorry Dan, fail to see your point...am I missing something? I was only stating that along with the other Craftsman products for which Villa does TV spots and infomercials, he's also been doing one for the motorcycle lift. I guess after he left "This Old House" that Sears signed him to some kind of lengthy endorsement contract. Although now I'm guessing that he's a K-Mart employee...

Postby Dan on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:45 pm

Point is that I don't understand the British term "one 4 or 5ft rectangle roof bar"... so in turn I thought I'd explain terms that our Brit friend might not be familiar with. That's all.

So, kl3640, what's a rectangular roof bar?
Dan
Smith

Postby Faust on Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't get it. If you have a centerstand and a torgue wrench all you have to do is loosen the canister, swing it out, loosen the lugs, drop the wheel and roll it out. It slips right out in just a few minutes.

We are talking about the K1200S rear wheel aren't we?
Faust
Smith

Postby Animal on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:07 am

Faust wrote:If you have a centerstand...

Hmmm....
Animal
Smith

Postby Animal on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:11 am

Dan wrote:So, kl3640, what's a rectangular roof bar?

Methinks they're called something else in the US then.
After looking on the (US) Thule website, it appears that they're called "Load Bars"

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/images/ ... mb/532.jpg
Animal
Smith

Postby Dan on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:39 am

Thanks, Animal.
Dan
Smith

Postby Dan on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:44 am

Faust wrote:I don't get it. If you have a centerstand and a torgue wrench all you have to do is loosen the canister, swing it out, loosen the lugs, drop the wheel and roll it out. It slips right out in just a few minutes.

We are talking about the K1200S rear wheel aren't we?

It'd be nice if BMW could redesign the exhaust to underseat... then you would not have to move the exhaust.
I'd imagine that after four or five years of heat and moisture the exhaust bolts and the pipe connection could get resistant to movement/removal/loosening when tire change time rolls up.
Dan
Smith

Return to SPORT BIKES