Interested in lightweight wheels for your K1200S or K1200RS?

OEMs, Dealers, Parts & Accessories Manufacturers, Shops, Retailers, Tuners & Distributors Communicate Directly with our Members.

Interested in lightweight wheels for your K1200S or K1200RS?

Postby ghostrider59 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:42 pm

I am doing an anonymous survey. I am the product manager for a major BMW accessories provider. I am considering importing forged Italian Mag Alloy wheel sets for the K1200S, K1200RS and K1200R, at $3,000 Retail. The weight savings will be about 8-10 lbs for the set. Color TBD.

Please provide any feedback.

If enough of you are interested and reply to me, you could see these available early 2007.

Happy Holidays!

Ghostrider59
ghostrider59
Smith

Postby evoluzione on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm

we would be all for it - we've been waiting over a year for the bst carbon wheels. would they be cast or forged magnisium? how about forged aluminum since they would be more durable for the street, cheaper and weigh about the same as cast mag wheels.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
phone: 951.639.0951
evoluzione
Raven

Postby goofy36 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi

just to expensive!!

check this

http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?a ... es&id=1318

PVM 5 H-Spoke Forged Aluminum Wheels for $2745

and this for carbon

http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?a ... uct&id=895

Gordon
2005 K1200S Custom Paint,Wilbers suspension +1/2" longer, Turbo exhaust, evo clutch slave cylinder + evo torque arm,AEM , Turbo
goofy36
Smith

Postby CoryK1200S on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Interested? Heck yeah, but the price for them is almost identical to the BST carbon wheels.

Also to Evoluzione. I work for an aluminum die caster, and aluminum is a LOT heavier than magnesium. But you are dead on about durability.
BMW K1200S Indigo Blue / Alpine White
2006 Spec.
CoryK1200S
Viper

Postby evoluzione on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:34 pm

CoryK1200S wrote:...Also to Evoluzione. I work for an aluminum die caster, and aluminum is a LOT heavier than magnesium. But you are dead on about durability.

please note that i stated forged aluminum vs. cast magnesium. typically, forged aluminum wheels are ~25% lighter than cast aluminum.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione
Raven

Postby ghostrider59 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 pm

To Evoluzione; these would be forged mag alloy, aprox 50% weight reduction vs. stock wheels. We are purely in the investigative stage now.

Remember to all, these wheels are for BMW only, much, much lower cost than anything from BMW.

i dont think BST has Mag Alloys for BMW's.
ghostrider59
Smith

Postby GPS on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:15 pm

i don't care what you make, all's i know is they better look more attractive than the existing turbine/sport wheel option (tall order that). btw, have you ever actually weighed the existing wheels or measured their MOI...? despite what they may look like, they're actually pretty light. afterall, it's not like they aren't the product of 21st century C.A.D. design. as a racer/track rider, the only thing i would be up for are the aforementioned carbons or something in forged magnesium. i've tracked bikes with forged Mg's and even with those, the difference is really only noticeable to those of us who know what's needed to reset the bike and then ride hard enough to chase lap times, so again i.m.o... they've gotta look better... not just "different".
'06 K12R, build 10/05, true
power cup slip-on, 190/55 Metzlers, PowerCommander,
GPS powerbar, single Evo filter.
GPS... RACING AHEAD...!!!
GPS
Raven

Postby jewilson on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:02 pm

GPS,

I have some Forged Carrozziera wheels on my Yamaha FZ1 and those wheels are 50% of the stock wheels. In addition, the Yamaha wheels are lighter the the K12S/R wheels. All these forged wheels for the beemer are quite expensive, but I bet they are worth it, if you like to ride the bike fast. Losing 1/2 the roating mass make a major difference in handling. It my understanding that the mag wheels lose air beside being brittle.

I see that Pack Parts has some forged wheels listed for the BMWK12S/R
http://www.pack-parts.com/product_info. ... 5a25f4e966
More wheels http://www.motorradzubehoer-hornig.de/? ... 5&art=1856 has forged wheels for the bike and BMW Motorad has some forged listed. http://www.ac-schnitzer.com/motorrad/en ... 1200s.html
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Last time I looked at PMV wheels the color finish was painted on, that what they told me.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby GPS on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:01 am

i think you might be confusing the air loss thing with porous early carbons (ie. dymag). brittle is a function also of early casting techniques. and aside from a few bi-chromate finishes most get thick paint or powder coated due to the inherent corrosion tendency. any magnesium worth having now-a-days is forged. still, you always have the option of sending any one of them out for professional crack testing. the gales are close to something i'd buy, but they are merely japanese near-replicas of the first generation schnitzer right hand design mirrored over for left hand fitment. something that schnitzer apparently never went ahead with.
GPS
Raven

Postby jewilson on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Well I'm not up to date on mag processing techniques, however as you pointed out there are ways to coat them. As for being brittle, I did no that problem had been resolved. As for the forged wheels I really like the ones on my Yamaha it's a major improvement.

The Schnitzer wheels look nice but for that kind of cash I'd want something a bit nicer or lighter like carbon. I do like the Galespeed wheels and I believe we can get a discount on them, also I see that there are being sold in the US by several dealers example. http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-43378 ... _BMW_.html

Their price is $823 for the back and $1209 for the front to bad. Also the Galespeed finishes look really great.

These folks offer a slight discount and free shipping. http://www.bikerbuys.com/Motorcycle_Acc ... ---BMW.htm

KEN,
why aren’t you selling these?

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby GPS on Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:29 pm

you're right, not a bad price at all. that really doesn't even need discounting. :lol: still in love with my OEM's though. now all's i gotta see is a set mounted on a bike. ken, this request has you written all over it. :)
GPS
Raven

Postby evoluzione on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:46 pm

GPS wrote:... ken, this request has you written all over it. :)

we are already on it. i believe i know the u.s. importer and have already left him a message. if they are actually available for the k-bikes i will get several sets on their way.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione
Raven

Postby jewilson on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Ken,

Let me know what you find out. I want to get them either in gold or gun metal. Also I have seen these Galespeeds in magnesium, however would want the forged wheels. I believe the forged or R type.

Jim
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby evoluzione on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 pm

all right, we've got some of the galespeed wheels on the way!

this is the type r (10 spoke):

here are the colors (black, white, bronze, gunmetal, polish, gold):

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by evoluzione on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione
Raven

Postby jewilson on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:37 pm

I'll be the first to jump in, who's next.

Man that gold wheel looks good, but that Gunmetal is really super man it would look great on a 07 black K1200S, or Black R1. It going to look real fine on my Beemer.

Cheers
Jim
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby jewilson on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:45 pm

Ken,

What do you think the disk carrier looks like. Yea carrier has to be build on the rotor. I guess that why the front wheel cost more than the rear. :D

Ken, that really a great price for these high quality wheels. I can wait to get them.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby scotsmun1 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:53 am

Oh shit Ken .........why did you have to go and do that :?
scotsmun1
Smith

Postby GPS on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:56 pm

finally, the long awaited image i've been asking for of a set mounted up. hmmn, just like i thought... not necessarily better... just "different". but what the heck, at least the price is right. so why not...? :) aftermarket support of this scale is what let's you know a brand/model has arrived. 8)

GPS
Raven

Postby jewilson on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:05 pm

GPS,

I'm sure when you see them on your bike there will look better than the stock wheels. Of course the roating mass will be the real difference. I had mine on order with Ken since the 4th of December, looks like it will be a late Christmas present to Me. :D

Merry Christmas to all

Cheers
Jim
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby jewilson on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:40 pm

GPS wrote:finally, the long awaited image i've been asking for of a set mounted up. hmmn, just like i thought... not necessarily better... just "different". but what the heck, at least the price is right. so why not...? :) aftermarket support of this scale is what let's you know a brand/model has arrived. 8)

To me it looks from the K12r picture that the front wheel requires a carrier for the rotors. I have not gotten a definitive answer on this so. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of extra money for new rotors with carriers those are something $500 and up for the Gaffers if there are even made Gaffers.

Ken,
Have you heard any new on when the wheels are going to show up.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby GPS on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:48 pm

To me it looks from the K12r picture that the front wheel requires a carrier for the rotors.

the answer you seek is "yes".

I have not gotten a definitive answer on this

i'm pretty sure you will find the front ships with an appropiately spaced carrier (hence the higher price) on to which you simply bolt your existing rotors. if i were to adapt an existing design (which is what they done) to work on a bmw that's how i'd do it. now i have no familiarity with these wheels, but i think in time you will find my answer to be "definitive". :)
GPS
Raven

Postby jewilson on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:15 pm

The definitive answer, I bet your right.......As I don't believe any one make a rotor and carrier for the BMW, however they could be using a nother rotor design for another bike.

The Wheels I have from Carrozzera use a sprocket designed that my Yamaha FZ1. Anway I just wishing they would show up.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby GPS on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:02 pm

jewilson wrote: Anway I just wishing they would show up.

sorry, can't help ya there... :P
GPS
Raven

Postby evoluzione on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:30 pm

just an update for all of you who have ordered wheels - the first batch are scheduled to ship from japan on the 22nd of january.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione
Raven

Postby Hattat on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:21 pm

evoluzione wrote:just an update for all of you who have ordered wheels - the first batch are scheduled to ship from japan on the 22nd of january.

Good news Ken :D So when will they arrive?
Hattat
Raven

Next

Return to VENDOR'S AREA