ESA Stopped working

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

ESA Stopped working

Postby brash47 on Sun May 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I recently had my 2006 K1200s sitting in the garage for an extended amount of time. I did start the motor and run it occasionally, but not enough, so the battery died. I was able to recharge it using a battery tender and the extra accessory plug the dealer installed for me. Unfortunately, I didn't ride the bike for a few months again, the battery died again. This time it showed charged, but would not start the bike. I was pretty sure the battery was done in, as it was a couple years old anyway. Just to make sure, I jumped the bike from my car battery and it started fine. So, off to the shop and new battery put in.

Now, although the bike starts and runs fine, my ESA is not even showing on my computer. No helmet, or bags, nothing. I dont hear any little motors moving when I push the esa button.

1. is there a fuse that I could have burned when I jumped the bike from my car, or is it possible, I fried something?
2. is there a way just to reset the whole computer?
3. is it possible that a battery tender hooked through the extra accessory plug could do something to the system?

I'm just trying to figure out why all the computer functions seem normal except the ESA not even visible on the screen.

I have not done any custom work to the bike at all, its bone stock except a tailpipe and the extra accessory plug the dealer installed when it was brand new.

Thanks guys!
brash
brash47
Smith

Re: ESA Stopped working

Postby kpavey on Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Hmmm

There is no fuse for this (or anything else) on this bike. Hooking up to a GS911 to read any trouble codes would be a good start. You could try battery cable off reset as well. Very unlikely the battery tender has caused anything.

I would also check the connections - two plugs to the rear shock (LHS) and one to the front. The front one can sever itself eventually with all the suspension travel induced fatigue. All signals come from the ZFE, so I suppose you could remove/refit the two connectors there as well and check for backed out pins although unlikely. Cheers.

EDIT - potentially could advise the pins the motors work on and with a multimeter check if you can see a pulse being transmitted through after pressing the ESA button. If you want to pursue that PM me and I can provide further guidance.
Last edited by kpavey on Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, KP
2005 K12S
kpavey
Viper

Re: ESA Stopped working

Postby brash47 on Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks. When I actually get a day off work, I'll check the connectors. Ill let you know how it goes.
brash
brash47
Smith

Return to SPORT BIKES