Can ABS be disconnected?

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Can ABS be disconnected?

Postby don-01 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:15 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to disconnect or temporaly dissable the ABS system on a K12S? Mine is a 2006 build.

ABS may be great on smooth roads but some of the country roads around Australia are not that great.

I have found that during fast road racing, I mean riding, I often find that the ABS kicks in at the worst of times and often runs me too deep into the cornor.

I will be doing a track day soon and was hoping to stick it to the ABS before then.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Don
don-01
Smith

Postby Jamie (RIP) on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:18 am

You have to trick the bike.......not so sure if ABS is also temporarily disconnected but the linked brakes are. Engage the front brake with ignition off. Keep the front brake engaged, turn ignition on and let the computer do its checks, start the bike – still with the front brake engaged. It should now display an ABS fault that doesn’t disappear once starting to move. The linked brakes are now temporarily disconnected and a burn out is possible. :D :D :D

As said before. Not sure if ABS is also now disconnected. Problem with an ABS fault display, it reports a variety of brake related problems and it can therefore be dangerous to ride with an ABS fault
Jamie (RIP)
Racer
Racer

Postby Xtremo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:28 am

I've read that the R1200S have a switch to turn ABS on/off, since i bought the K12R i wondered why this switch is not present in the bike...

Maybe asking your dealer they might rig you something like that...
Xtremo
Iceman

Postby GeeBee on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:42 am

Don, I recognize the issue as I have similar issues on several roads in Poland. Although I would not like to miss ABS on my bike anymore, there are circumstances one would prefer not to have it. I wasn't aware of Jamie's suggestion but will try it once the new season starts. Meanwhile I'll check with the BMW mechanic whether the ABS in the tweak described above is also disconnected.

Jamie, as you indicate it's temporarily. Does it mean that when you restart the bike as usual the situation reverts to normal?

....missing my hibernating bike though.... :?
GeeBee

Postby Jamie (RIP) on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:48 am

Yes it will revert to normal on the next restart.

Mmmmh........hibernating.......we have summer now and for all practical purposes all year round riding conditions.......sorry bud :wink:
Jamie (RIP)
Racer
Racer

Postby saCUL on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:54 am

I hear you Jamie, it sucks to live in a Mediterranean Climate :lol:
Andrew Lucas aka saCUL
Perth, Western Australia
Black K1200S - 2008
saCUL
Cowboy

Postby GeeBee on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:47 am

LOL x2 :sunny:
GeeBee

Postby scrannel on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:08 am

I have a k12r and also curious about ABS disconnect. In the states no dealer in their right mind would install a cut out switch because of our liability laws.
scrannel
Viper

Postby Xtremo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:25 am

What i wonder, once i went to Cheste track for a car course, the instructors told us to remove the ABS fuse of the cars, so at first we should learn to brake without the ABS and later we put it on again and brake with the ABS (yes, the course was with our own cars), if we remove the same fuse in the Bike, would it give more trouble that just disabling the ABS?

Cheers
Xtremo
Iceman

Re: Can ABS be disconnected?

Postby JollyJeweller on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:34 pm

don-01 wrote:, I often find that the ABS kicks in at the worst of times and often runs me too deep into the cornor. Cheers Don

cornor ?
Do you mean corner or Coroner :?
JollyJeweller
Smith

Postby don-01 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:54 pm

Jamie wrote:You have to trick the bike.......not so sure if ABS is also temporarily disconnected but the linked brakes are. Engage the front brake with ignition off. Keep the front brake engaged, turn ignition on and let the computer do its checks, start the bike – still with the front brake engaged. It should now display an ABS fault that doesn’t disappear once starting to move. The linked brakes are now temporarily disconnected and a burn out is possible. :D :D :D

As said before. Not sure if ABS is also now disconnected. Problem with an ABS fault display, it reports a variety of brake related problems and it can therefore be dangerous to ride with an ABS fault

Jamie, thanks. I have just read the Stoppies thread on I-BMW that also expains this process. http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... t=stoppies

Looks like I have my answer. I will now be able to do my track day on Saturday with more confidence running deep into the turn.

Cheers and thanks to all for the responses.
Don :D
don-01
Smith

Postby joema on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:30 pm

It's unclear whether that procedure really disables ABS. I suppose you could try it and carefully apply the rear brake at fairly low speed to check.

I have done many track days on my '06 K1200S and have never had a problem with the ABS. I brake very hard, often triggering ABS. On some tracks the braking zone is somewhat bumpy, yet I've never had a premature ABS intervention which lengthened braking distance.

However it's theoretically possible any ABS system can be tricked into early intervention. In 25,000 mi. of street riding, I had this happen once on my KS, at very low speed. I was in stop-and-go traffic on bumpy tarmac, was momentarily distracted and then stabbed the front brake hard. It went into a weird mode and hardly braked at all.

Obviously if that happened on the track at high speed it would be serious. However I've never had it happen on the track, even slightly.

I think the KS ABS system is the best I've ever experienced -- it has almost imperceptible activation feeling, and allows braking very hard.

In general I think the KS ABS system will probably save you 100 times for every 1 time it mis-behaves. I've seen several non-ABS riders on the track crash due to over braking at the end of a straight.

I can often catch faster, more nimble bikes "on the brakes", simply because they're afraid to brake that hard. My main fear is getting hit from behind under hard braking.

My track advice is (1) Use new high-quality tires, (2) Leave ABS enabled, (3) Don't stab the brakes suddenly, but progressively ramp up braking pressure. This is good for both ABS and suspension reasons.

If you want to experiment with the so-called disable procedure, try it very carefully on the street with the back brake. Even then we don't know for sure what that does. I'd be hesitant to trust my life to that on the track.
joema
Iceman

Postby don-01 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:49 am

joema wrote:y track advice is (1) Use new high-quality tires, (2) Leave ABS enabled, (3) Don't stab the brakes suddenly, but progressively ramp up braking pressure. This is good for both ABS and suspension reasons.

If you want to experiment with the so-called disable procedure, try it very carefully on the street with the back brake. Even then we don't know for sure what that does. I'd be hesitant to trust my life to that on the track.

joema, completed my track day last Saturday and can confirm your findings regarding ABS on the track. I had no problems at all, and in fact found that when it did engage on the one particular corner, it was very subtle. I was applying the brakes as you note in point (3) "progressively ramp up braking pressure" and on reflection I may not be doing this on the road to the same degree - I'll experiment. One thing to note though, is that the track surface was obviously smooth and much different from our Aussie country roads.

Jamie, for info, I followed the instructions outlined in the Stoppies thread, but the ABS re-engages as soon as you apply the front brake.

Don
don-01
Smith

Postby Jamie (RIP) on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:08 am

Glad all went well on the track. I also never had the need before to try and disable the ABS nor is it advisable. Thanks for the info on the ABS but I never claimed it will work for ABS. All I said for sure is that the linked brakes are temporarily disabled but it’s good to get some info on the topic.

Enjoy your ride
Jamie (RIP)
Racer
Racer

Return to SPORT BIKES