Should I buy a K1300HP or I just have to wait?

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Should I buy a K1300HP or I just have to wait?

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

Hi there,
I am new at this Forum, I discovered it friday night.
Let's talk a little about me. I was born and raised in Venezuela. At the age of 10 I learn to ride a motorcicle. I was riding until I was 16, when my family moves to Caracas, and then my father and mom prohibited the ride (Caracas was and still is a very dangerous place) until I were at least 18. Then, I only ride with my friend bikes, and only for short terms. When I was 24 (1990) I found at a chicken farm (inside the chicken's house) an 1973 R90S wich I restored to seem like new. In 1997 a german rider, who was living in Venezuela at that time, falls in love with my R90s, and we trade my bike for his, wich was a 1996 blue K1100RS, and I became an irrestricted fan of BMW.
After that I bought a 1998 R1100GS, sold to a cousin 1 year later (nothing wrong, only not my tipe of ride).
I keep my K11 until 2004 when I have a crash and brain concusion with my bike (write off). At that time I was engaged and become a married man.
I was trying to buy a new Berliner but Caracas become very very dangerous, almost all my friends sold their bikes, because in a big motorcycle you are a clear kidnaping target, and my wife and I make a deal: If we move anytime in the future to a new country, and I have a life insurance, I will get my bike :shock: .
Last August I have to move my family to Switzerland (my wife is Svizzera) and last February I came here.
Now we have a house, my kid is at school, my dogs are in their way to Switzerland (lots of paperwork and blood test) and I am ready to buy a brand new K1300.
Last week I was reviewing Motorrad site and like what I see and read about the K13. This friday morning I went to my local BMW Motorrad, and they have a red K13 and a K13HP, both brand new. I reserved the HP until I came back in 2 weeks.
I was in a hurry (traveling to Zurich) and hasn't the time to make a drive test. At that night I discovered BMW-COM, and all yours inputs, comments and wise advices but, also because of your many posts, including that longlasting from our host Shiva (wich I read complete), right now I have a dilemma:
1. Should I buy the HP or wait until the new models arrive? This has an explanation: I normally keep my ride many years, and I don't like to see that I bought this now, and 3 months later is outdated by the arriving of a new model, whatever it will be ( new K14, redesigned K13, etc). Also I understand that the HP I found is maybe one of the last brand new in the market, so if I don't buy it, some one else will.
2. I havn't ride the bike, so I dont know how it is, and how to compare wich the one I had, in terms of handling, weight, etc. I am short (maybe 1.67 cm) and slim, so the bike has to be equilibrated or I maybe will have a hard time (never have a problem with my K11, so :wink: ).
3. I tend to ride almost all year long, go to work in the bike, shopping, leisure and travel (alone because my wife - wich is more like a prusian general than a wonderfull swiss lady- dosn't like, wich has its pros and cons :mrgreen: ) and don't know how is the K13 for an intensive use, considering is gona be my only bike and ride.
4. I never lived or ride in winter weather (vacation time don't count), so I doesn't know anything about how and when to store a bike in winter, maintenance, riding, etc. I understand BMW have some training courses to ride in winter and maybe it will help. Knowing nothing about with this type of weather, etc, nor even the basics, so consider me as a totally newbee (Ticino has a very mild winter compared to the rest of Switzerland, but still you have some days at -20°C :alien: ).
So I need help, and I think this is the place to find it. Finally I have to thanks everyone for your comments, and congrats Shiva for this amazing site.
2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ilmberger Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger, GSC Moto GP Crash Protectors (Black), GSC Moto PowerCup Spindle Protector, Wunderlich Paralever Slider/Double Shock, Wunderlich Cruise Control, Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Re: Should I buy a K1300Hp or I just have to wait?

Postby Bernardo on Sun May 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Hola Fenix, bienvenido al foro :)

Excellent introduction!, You really love bikes and this serves for the first reflection... you have now 45, never enjoyed a bike because different problems ( I understand 30 years ago was the same here... :( ), why to wait if you can ride now!. Surely BMW will change models, tech and so for, but you live now, and this is the exact moment to enjoy your beloved bikes,if you can, just go to your dealer and buy it, is a amazing bike and you won't regret your decision. :)
K1300R Fiona (2012 - _______): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18248
K1300R La Gorda (2009 - sold): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10735 - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11251
Me: .........viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13&p=68330
Bernardo
Einstein

Postby skapan on Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Take the K13 now, IF there is a new model and you MUST have it, then trade in later. Why wait, there is no good reason. Performance is basically the same, HP or not, you will find out all about the bike on your test ride. Good luck!
skapan
Iceman

Postby paisith1977 on Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 am

If I were you, I will not hesitate K13S HP is completely perfect model.Catch it if you have a chance.
BTW if you don't serious, you should looking for smaller bike at the same style of K13S for your practise or try to take some riding course is really good idea.

If you get her(K13S) don't make her a scratch. :mrgreen:
Even I missed HP but The Blue Angel is my real life.
paisith1977
Smith

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for your answers. I was reading others post in the forum in my spare time, wich I think clearify almost all my concerns. Hope next week I will be at home and go to the dealer to make the deal, before somebody else do :wink: .
Here you have a great resource of information, congrats.
Right now I'm making the list of xtras to put in, and so far is the center stand, the Navigator IV and Comm System, & sportbags. Just thinking about the soft tail bag (the little one). Anything I could be missing? maybe the alarm?
This will be myself birthday present next month, and intend to keep the bike for some time.
The only thing I think will have and need to learn is what is needed to ride safe and confortly at winter time, how to deal with salt, and what measures I have to take when the time comes to store my KS. About that the information I found was scarse but useful.

Regards.
Peace & Ride
2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ilmberger Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger, GSC Moto GP Crash Protectors (Black), GSC Moto PowerCup Spindle Protector, Wunderlich Paralever Slider/Double Shock, Wunderlich Cruise Control, Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Re: Should I buy a K1300HP or I just have to wait?

Postby Special-K on Thu May 31, 2012 7:32 am

My friend buy your K13s now and dont wait, its a changing world out there so take the chance
to own the best bike in the world... I am biased as I have a K13s but do not care about it...
This bike will give you hair on your chest.. :mrgreen:
Thanks
K-Man
23,000 Km's
2011-K13s Titanium Silver (Full Spec) 175 hp @ 9250 RPM

http://www.motorrad-news.com/wp-content ... 2012-3.jpg
Special-K
Cowboy

Postby gpw on Thu May 31, 2012 9:40 am

Special-K wrote:This bike will give you hair on your chest.. :mrgreen:

He he I don't want hair on my chest :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BMW K1300S,BMW GS 1200, Honda VTR 1000
gpw
Smith

Postby imeyers on Thu May 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Go for the HP and don't think twice. I have had mine for about 2 months now and it is the most incredible bike I have ridden to date. Sure there are bikes that handle a drop better or are a tick faster but none of them can hold a candle to K1300 when it comes to the overall package. Just one thing if you do get the HP. Take the baffle out of the Akrapovic and let it sound the way it should. Also be prepared for a lot of attention. People are really drawn to the HP. :mrgreen:
2012 K1300S HP #199
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400 (Don't knock it till you've tried it)
2005 R1200RT (Sold after 7 good years)
imeyers
Cowboy

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Well, I'm back. I had a work travel wich has to be extended. I just talk with the guy at the dealer today, and he will start the paperwork this monday, so as I have to go to Zurich a couple of days since monday, we schedule to pick up the bike on next friday. Thank you all for your comments and guidance, and at the last, my concern about the bike's weight is solve cause the K13 is almost 14 kg (30 some lbs) ligther than my old K11rs, so its gonna be a piece of cake. I order it with the low seat, as it will help with my incredible height (1.65 mts :lol: ), thanks god my legs aren't too short.

I discard to buy the opcional center stand, because of the rear stand included in the package.

In the meantime I have to see what gear will buy, and I need your clever advice. Back at my old home, Venezuela, I just had a jacket and gloves, no boots or pants to ride, and an overall rainsuit, when I commute or travel. There the weather is mild and with that I can go year round. Here the history is different: the winters are cold and the summer is hot, windy and rains. So I´m now converted to ATGATT (maybe is the age, my wife or my child, who knows :? ) but I´m very confused about what to purchase, as all around gear, and maybe winter gear.

At the dealer they had all the bmw's stuff, but I prefer your advice about what to get. I like german quality and read the post about the comfort shell, but I believe it has been replaced with the atlantis or the tourshell. I already ordered a system6 helmet with the comm package but anything else.
So, thanks in advance,
Quique
PS: I dont care much about the hair chest neither :lol:
2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Postby Graemsay on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:45 am

Given that the K1300 series is continuing for 2013, you've made the right choice with the HP. It might have been an awfully long wait for the expected K1400. :D

The Streetguard is BMW's top of the line textile suit as far as I can tell. It feels pretty durable, which is a good thing if you fall off. The Atlantis is a bit different, as it's a set of waterproof leathers, but it's also the most expensive option.

I'm personally very tempted by the Atlantis as it's available in short, standard and long lengths (I have the opposite problem to you with sizing), and, at risk of triggering off a religious war, leather is generally a lot more abrasion resistant than textiles, which is a good thing in a crash. I'm not sure what the weather protection is like, but I've heard that it doesn't leak in heavy and prolonged rain, so seems pretty good.

Other brands to consider are Rukka (very expensive - but try FC Moto), the Halvarssons Safety Suit (probably the most protective set of textiles), and Aerostich (though not the best looking outfit :mrgreen:).

If you want a set of leathers then find a small company that does made-to-measure. I can recommend a few in the UK, and know of one in the Netherlands.

Rukka sell a set of leathers with a Gore-Tex membrane bonded to them. This looks like it could be the best of both worlds (leather's durability with textile's weather protection), but are very expensive.

Boots? Daytona and TCX supply much of BMW's range. Altberg are less well known outside the UK, but very well made. I've got a pair.
Graemsay
Smith

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank you all for your advices.
Due to a family issue I had to delay picking up the bike until this next friday. Tomorrow afternoon I'm collecting the gears. Because I had no much time to do a research (and shopping around) about were I can find other gear brands, lately choose to buy the Bmw stuff, a bit expansive but it will make the work. So, Atlantis jacket, ProSummer gloves, one pair of city denims, and one Summer 3; and ProTouring Boots. When the autumm cames will purchase the Atlantis pants, and some aditional winter protection.
I will post some pictures of the bike this sunday, after a ride :D .
Have to say that I'm very happy with BMW keeping this K13 models one more year, feel like a christmas unexpected and wonderful gift to me and others.
Do you believe that I had been at the Dealer 4 times and forgot to look what number is the bike? :shock:
And Bernardo you are so right, I don't regret.
Regards...
2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Well, this is the first update. Today I pick up the bike, between 2 meetings, so only have chance to take this pictures with my cel phone.

BTW, after I left the dealer the rain came, and follow me all the way until I came home. All these days were beatiful, but today... [smilie=17.gif]
Anyway, for me was a shiny day.
2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Postby Ed F K on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Pretty cool...#516
Ed
2007 K1200S
"Race Bike in a Tuxedo"
Ed F K
Viper

Postby k13rseman on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:43 am

Beautiful beast ;) Congratulations mate!
BMW K1300R SE December 2009 Silk Metallic full spec
Akrapovič Titanium slip-on
k13rseman
Iceman

Postby Ave Fénix Primus on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Thank you Ed F K and k13rseman, I'm very happy with my Genciana Lady.
The weather doesn't help, today is raining againg, so I think will pospose the photo session until it improves.
In the meantime, only one at home...

2012 K1300SHP # 516
Ave Fénix Primus
Smith

Postby fixinbones on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Does anyone know when the K1400s will be available in the USA?
'10 BMW S1000RR
'10 Multistrada 1200S sport
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)
fixinbones
Smith

Postby Bernardo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Does anyone know when the K1400s will be available in the USA?

Really exist?, I don't think so... You have something about that?
K1300R Fiona (2012 - _______): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18248
K1300R La Gorda (2009 - sold): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10735 - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11251
Me: .........viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13&p=68330
Bernardo
Einstein

Return to SPORT BIKES