Carbon fibre (fiber for the US folks) wheels

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Carbon fibre (fiber for the US folks) wheels

Postby nemesis.ie on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:31 am

Anyone interested in trying to get a group buy arranged on these?

Does anyone have the weight of the stock wheels?
Last edited by nemesis.ie on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
K1300S, light grey metallic. Collected 20th Feb 2009.
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Re: Carbon fibre wheels

Postby Mirage_ZA on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:24 am

nemesis.ie wrote:Anyone interested in trying to get a group buy arranged on these?

Does anyone have the weight of the stock wheels?

You would like to fit this on K12/3 S ???

NEVER EVER fit carbon fibre wheel on road bike, they crack/break on impact, one serious pothole and you are a toast.
Mirage_ZA

Re: Carbon fiber wheels

Postby GeeBee on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

Alex, good point. What about the BMW HP wheels? They're not carbon but significantly lighter than the stock ones. Is there a bigger risk on damaging them?
GeeBee

Postby zx9rmal on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am

GeeBee wrote:Alex, good point. What about the BMW HP wheels? They're not carbon but significantly lighter than the stock ones. Is there a bigger risk on damaging them?

The BMW wheels, IMHO, are not significantly lighter. Maybe 2 lbs. lighter for the pair. I disagree with the above post about CF wheels for the street. I had a set of BST's and they were strong. BST's are both DOT and EURO (TUV?) approved.
Mal Glanz
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
'10 S1000RR
'09 CBR1000RR
zx9rmal
Iceman

Postby nemesis.ie on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 pm

There are specific road (street) versions of the carbon fibre wheels (did someone change the spelling of my topic to the US spelling? :evil: ) and as mentioned, if they are TUV approved they should withstand potholes etc. just as well as cast alloy (which I would also think could be prone to breaking/cracking (see the suspension linkage dog bone ....).

There are aircraft wings etc. made from CF, so as long as it is made to the right spec, I can't see it as being a problem versus metal alloy.
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby Bernardo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:20 pm

nemesis.ie wrote:There are specific road (street) versions of the carbon fibre wheels (did someone change the spelling of my topic to the US spelling? :evil: ) and as mentioned, if they are TUV approved they should withstand potholes etc. just as well as cast alloy (which I would also think could be prone to breaking/cracking (see the suspension linkage dog bone ....).

There are aircraft wings etc. made from CF, so as long as it is made to the right spec, I can't see it as being a problem versus metal alloy.

By the same criteria, the wheels of steel are better than the aluminum alloy in order to absorb impacts.... but they are old-fashioned :wink:

BTW. Nemesis: Have those wheels expiry date? I remember the aluminium/magnesium wheels...
K1300R Fiona (2012 - _______): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18248
K1300R La Gorda (2009 - sold): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10735 - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11251
Me: .........viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13&p=68330
Bernardo
Einstein

Postby jw on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 pm

To get TUV approval is a tremondous testimony to the BST wheels. I would and there are many riding with these carbon fiber wheels on the street.

However TUV is SOOO STRICT that they require each model of wheel to get separate approval. So while some of the wheels have TUV approval, I don't think the BMW have then.

Another option is forged magnesium wheels... :D

I have a set of Magtan forged magnesium wheels in gold. They weigh less than the BST carbon fiber wheels as a set and cost less as well.

jw
Raven

Postby nemesis.ie on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Nice - how does the mass distribution compare to the CFs? (See BST web site).

Is there a mount for the ABS ring?
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby jw on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Honestly, in my opinion, with this light of a wheel, MOI while admittedly better on the CF wheel, probably means little.

These wheels are spaced for the ABS ring and are bolt and go.

The major improvement is the rear wheel...

versus...

jw
Raven

Postby Mirage_ZA on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:01 am

I will not get involved in lengthy discussions about safety as I don't manufacture or approve CF wheels for track or road use.
To my knowledge, CF wheels are allowed only in Moto GP. Not allowed in WSB or AMA. Certainly not allowed in any form other that BOTTS (read amateur, mostly Ducati, riders over 40) class in SA motorsport. Ask anyone in the industry, main concern is safety.

I have seen crashed bikes on the track and I have seen broken CF wheels. Aluminum and magnesium would buckle, CF would break off on spokes. CF is prone to aging (like helmets), CF is prone to cracking (invisible at times).

I fail to understand why someone would need "quicker" turn on sport/touring bike, used mostly on the road where it really doesn't matter. How many corners did we ever scrape our knees with K on flip flop turns, on roads, riding legal or illegal speeds ? From trick point of view I am all for upgrades, but if Ducati does not fit it on 1098R where performance is paramount, why would I want it on road bike.

Finally, stresses on CF - K12/3S with pillion and some luggage on board is probably 100kg heavier that average superbike, that is over 30% stationary - in motion, forces are much higher that that. Too many "what if" questions.....
IMG_2299.jpg
IMG_2299.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
IMG_2300.jpg
Mirage_ZA

Postby andy griff on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:23 am

Really good case of picture painting a 1000 words !!
andy griff
Viper

Postby nemesis.ie on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

True enough. I have to say the mag ones look nice, all in black including the carriers would be nice.

Anyone know the weight savings of those?
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby jw on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:31 am

In the US carbon fiber wheels are approved by CCS ans WERA.

Blackstonetek takes into account the extra weight of the K-bikes.

Without knowing the histroy of those pictures, you cannot draw ANY conclusions. I can post pictures of catastrophic aluminum and magnesium wheel failures as well.

One thing is carbon fiber cannot be heated with the usual tire warmers. This weakens the epoxy and can cause it to delaminate.

Carbon fiber while not a product for EVERY motorcyclist and motorcycle, is a fantastic product. And one whose improvements are felt RIGHT AWAY. Rotational inertia increases with speed and becomes significant in quick side to side transitions. This is a situation seen MANY times on the twisting roads. There is a very noticeable improvement in transitions with the magnesium wheels I have. Whether or not it's worth $4000 is up to you.

But to dismiss this new technology (and it's really hardly new), would be a major loss for you.
jw
Raven

Postby Mirage_ZA on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:59 am

jw wrote:In the US carbon fiber wheels are approved by CCS ans WERA.

Blackstonetek takes into account the extra weight of the K-bikes.

Without knowing the histroy of those pictures, you cannot draw ANY conclusions. I can post pictures of catastrophic aluminum and magnesium wheel failures as well.

One thing is carbon fiber cannot be heated with the usual tire warmers. This weakens the epoxy and can cause it to delaminate.

Carbon fiber while not a product for EVERY motorcyclist and motorcycle, is a fantastic product. And one whose improvements are felt RIGHT AWAY. Rotational inertia increases with speed and becomes significant in quick side to side transitions. This is a situation seen MANY times on the twisting roads. There is a very noticeable improvement in transitions with the magnesium wheels I have. Whether or not it's worth $4000 is up to you.

But to dismiss this new technology (and it's really hardly new), would be a major loss for you.

Let's agree to disagree JW :-)
Arguably, best road bike money can buy, Ducati Desmosedici comes with magnesium wheels...
Mirage_ZA

Postby nemesis.ie on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

A little more fuel:

"
Are BST Carbon Fiber wheels safe to use?

Despite the many internet myths, BST carbon fiber wheels are completely safe for the street or the track. Carbon fiber is an extremely robust material - even if you somehow succeed in damaging the wheel, the damage will not propogate while riding. To demonstrate the strength of a BST carbon fiber wheel, Race Applications Monaco (RAM) applied a 10,000 Newton stress test - that's enough energy to move 22,000 lbs about 3 ft. in a second. You can see from RAM's BST Stress Test results that the wheel was hardly damaged.

"
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby nemesis.ie on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 pm

jw wrote:Honestly, in my opinion, with this light of a wheel, MOI while admittedly better on the CF wheel, probably means little.

These wheels are spaced for the ABS ring and are bolt and go.

The major improvement is the rear wheel...

versus...

I must say I prefer the lack of "shiny hub" .....

So - anyone have any suggestions for a (cheapest) supplier for Mag/CF? If the magnesium are a good bit cheaper, I would probably go that way. Just looking at options.
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby jw on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Like I said, I have the one set in gold if you want it fairly cheap. Unfortunately, I'll have to check on shipping to Ireland. That'll probably be the deal breaker. Let me know if you are interested.
jw
Raven

Postby nemesis.ie on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:41 am

They would have to be black. ;-)
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Re: Carbon fibre (fiber for the US folks) wheels

Postby SHIVA on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 am

hi, just a correction as far as I know there is no dual spelling on Carbon Fiber. In the English language, which this community speaks, globally, this product is spelled Carbon Fiber.

This is not the same as colour/color, or tyre/tire. The spelling is the same globally for this product and also it's not related to Fibreglass. Also, it doesn't matter how its spelled in German or French. Why does this matter, because by spelling it correctly, every time, it can be searchable, not just through our own search system, but Google and other web searches too. Otherwise this thread will get lost in the near future. Thanks, S
SHIVA
THE PROPHET
THE PROPHET

Postby ajack76 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:46 pm

I hear what your saying Shiva and understand where your coming from but in the UK and Europe it has always been carbon fibre. Put carbon fibre into Google.co.uk and it will always give you UK based companys and products, put in carbon fiber and will give you US based companys and products.
To me it doesn't matter if its carbon, glass, micro etc they're all products made from fibres. Chambers and Oxford dictionaries all have it as a dual spelling and its just one of these things over here that we favour fibre.
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/ca ... re?view=uk
Appologies for going off topic
ajack76
Smith

Postby jw on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 pm

nemesis.ie wrote:They would have to be black. ;-)

Understood.

Unfortunately, they (the magnesium wheels) retail from Japan for nearly US$4000 last I checked and are more costly than the BST's. That's not including the import duties if applicable and shipping costs. There's also a delay in production as these wheels are "made to order" and done model specific on a schedule.
I purchased 3 sets last year for a discount and before the factory's price increase. I kept one set, sold one and have this one left. I think they would go perfectly with a black bike if anyone is interested...
jw
Raven

Postby nemesis.ie on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:40 am

:-)
nemesis.ie
Racer
Racer

Postby jewilson on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:47 pm

JW,

That a great deal on the wheels and it I was in the market I'd take you up. Gold wheels look really super on a bike as it makes a big bike look lighter and more agile, just improving it looks. Yea I've have gold forged wheels on my Yamaha and they look great.

Personnely I just don't care for the look of carbon fiber, paint please.

BTW, carbon fiber wheels are not allowed in MotoGp.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby Rytalin on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Jim,

Were you ever able to find a buyer for those wheels?

Thanks,

Rytalin
Rytalin
Smith

Next

Return to SPORT BIKES