GPR exhaust for K-S and K-R

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

GPR exhaust for K-S and K-R

Postby budamax on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with GPR exhaust slip on's. I recently purchased a 05 K1200s and have done some searching for pipes and the GPR line came up. They seem to be very competitively priced, I'm just wondering about quality, fitment and sound.
I had Staintunes on the VFR that I had before the k1200s and was real hapy with them. I would really appreciate any feedback from the members. I am new to this forum and am looking forward to getting involved in the K1200 community....
budamax
Smith

Re: gpr exhaust for k1200s

Postby Unleaded on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 am

Hi,

I've just ordered the GPR Titanium can for my K1300S. I'll be the guinea pig. :lol:

I'll post up some photos and impressions once it arrives.
09 K1300S Lava Orange Metallic
ZTechnik dark screen, R&G sliders, Ilmberger hugger, ZT GPS Techmount, Pazzo short levers, Evoluzione plate relocator, Sargent seat/pod
Unleaded
Smith

Postby budamax on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 am

Interested in their exhaust.....looking forward to your pictures and impressions of quality and sound....thanks for being the guinea pig.....I'm sure I will be next....have had my K1200s for two weeks, love the bike hate the stock pipe....
budamax
Smith

Postby Unleaded on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44 am

As promised, here are a few initial thoughts on the GPR Grand Prix Evolution Titanium slip-on. I've just fitted the pipe this evening, so no riding time yet...but perhaps the following pics and vids will at least provide a rough idea of how this can looks and sounds on the K13S.

Always cool to unwrap new parts: 8)

Before I removed the stock pipe, here's a side-by-side...This particular model is the Grand Prix Evolution Titanium.

This thing came with few more parts than is typical with aftermarket slip-ons. The pipe with the rubber band is the coupler. To the left is the lower baffle. There are actually two baffles on this pipe. That cone-shaped baffle goes in-between the coupler and the muffler. There is also a baffle in the end of the muffler, like usual. Not all of the springs are included in this pic, but I got twelve of them. Why? Who knows. The pipe uses two, just like you'd expect. The long straight piece is the hanger band.

First, the rubber sleeves need to be slipped over the springs, then the springs can go on. Those cylindrical pieces tacked to the coupler are actually where the heat shield threads to the pipe. Because this is a two-piece slip-on, some sealant needs to be used between the coupler and the muffler. I used some high-temp RTV silicone I had laying around.

Next there is a rubber piece that needs to be wrapped around the hanger band. It's just a tad too long, so I trimmed an inch or so off.

With the pipe attached to the coupler, and the hanger assembled, it's a matter of hanging the pipe using the stock bolt.

As you can see in this close up, the stock heat shield fits just fine. Mine is the Bestem CF shield, but it's identical in shape to the stock piece.

I kinda like the looks of it. It's a narrow oval...quite a bit taller than it is wide.

More upward sweep to this exhaust, and it tapers as well, so it reveals substantially more rear wheel than the stocker.

I know for many of you, the lettering is a bit much. I really don't mind it, personally....but it's a good thing - 'cause that's no sticker; it's riveted on:rolleyes:

With both baffles in, the pipe is AT LEAST as quiet as stock. I didn't use the inner baffle when I permanently installed the pipe. Without the inner baffle, but with the upper baffle in place, it's got a nice deep rumble. Not loud, but just a bit more growly. With both baffles out, this can really comes alive. I don't like loud pipes. With both baffles out, it's still not as loud as the Remus Powercone I had on my 12: a pipe I loved to look at, but ultimately I found too loud. I'm going to ride it awhile with both baffles out, just to be sure, but first impression is that it sounds fantastic with both baffles removed. Much deeper, and a bit more raw-sounding.

I uploaded three crappy iPhone vids to YouTube so you could hear it. First link is the stock can, obviously. Second is the GPR with inside baffle removed, but upper baffle in place. Final vid is all baffles out. Need to turn your sound way up, and not sure why I filmed the last two vids sideways, but hopefully they'll give you an idea... :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyn5I4BUcM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHkbOV2tGM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6uS-ALdV1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ZTechnik dark screen, R&G sliders, Ilmberger hugger, ZT GPS Techmount, Pazzo short levers, Evoluzione plate relocator, Sargent seat/pod
Unleaded
Smith

Postby budamax on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 am

Great post, have followed this and it looks like I will be ordering one this week-end. How is the clearance for the bag on the right side. It looks better than stock... How long did it take to get it from them....patience not a virtue of mine...really thanks for all the info....
budamax
Smith

Postby Unleaded on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks! Shipping was amazingly quick, coming from the UK. Great communication from Arthur at MotoLegends, too. Ordered the pipe last Friday, got it yesterday afternoon. Less than a week, start-to-finish.

Clearance for the right case is good - here are a few pics showing the pipe with the bag in place - sorry for the poor coloring to the pics. Quick cell-phone snapshots - too lazy to doctor them up. :drunken:
Unleaded
Smith

Postby stroller on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi,
Enjoyed your write up, and the exhaust looks good. Will it enable youto remove the wheel without having to move the exhaust as is required with OE can?

Regards,
Mike
stroller
Smith

Postby Unleaded on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 am

That's a great question. I believe this exhaust is angled up enough - and is narrow enough in diameter - to allow the wheel to be removed without removing the pipe.

I will check this evening when I get home to be certain.
Unleaded
Smith

Postby Unleaded on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

After looking at the rear wheel, I don't see any reason you would need to remove the exhaust to take the rear wheel off. The exhaust angles up enough to get a socket easily onto the lugs, and is narrow enough to allow the wheel to come off of the hub and drop down and away. :thumright:
Unleaded
Smith

Postby budamax on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:12 am

I finally got around to being the second guinea pig and ordered the GPR exhaust for my 2005 K1200s. I ordered the one in the picture that Shiva posted...I ordered it directly from GPR off of Ebay so it may be an adventure but I will try to have patience on the delivery.... thanks to unleaded on his great post....
budamax
Smith

Postby stroller on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I have ordered a titanium one as well. Hopefully will receive it early next week. Thanks again to Unleaded for some very good information
stroller
Smith

Postby TWUK on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am

Did any other purchasers receive and fit their GPR exhaust yet? Unleaded's write-up is great but it would be good to get some more feedback...
TWUK
Iceman

Postby stroller on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Yes, I have fitted mine, and my comments are the same as Unleaded's really. I am running mine with the rear baffle in, and it gives more of a growl & is somewhat noisier without being in any way unacceptable.
At first sight, I thought the hanging strap was a bit flimsy, but it does the job OK and bearing in mind the cost of this can compared with say a Remus or Akro then I think it is good value for money.
I am also hoping that it will be possible to remove the rear wheel without having to move the exhaust as you have to with the OE can, but I have not tried it yet.

Regards,
mike
stroller
Smith

Postby mondrage on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm

I can remove the rear wheel without removing the stock exhaust... just take the screw that fixes it to the frame, and move the exhaust to the right.
It gives enough to get the wheel out.
When I have to remove the wheel, I usually take the exhaust. It's not big deal.
----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2006
BMW K1200R: "The Darkness" 2006
Honda CB550Four 1978 (new addition)
HD Sportster Nightster XL1200N 2009 --- sold
-----------------------------------------------------
mondrage
Viper

Postby Unleaded on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Thought I would post an update after 800 miles of riding with the GPR pipe. In short, I really love it. The sound is fantastic at higher revs, yet still not offensive at all when just tooling about town. Some slight and occasional popping on overrun can be heard, but that's a plus for me. I think that attribute sounds great. :twisted:
But I REALLY like the pop one gets at each upshift when using the quick shifter....sounds very GP-like.

So far, I've had probably 4 or 5 compliments on the looks of the can in the short period of time I've had it fitted, including one today from - of all people - a rider on a HD Road King. The comments honestly caught me a bit off-guard, as I think the pipe looks relatively factory-spec. The more I look at the overall lines of the bike with the can in place, though, the more I do think it compliments the bike just about perfectly, IMO.

*edit*
Oh and I did remove the rear wheel without removing or loosening the pipe, for those curious....
And here's a pic that shows the look of the GPR a bit more clearly:
Unleaded
Smith

Postby Conner999 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Just a (lengthy) note from another new user. Just received my GPR GPE slip-on for my K1200R.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-SYSTEM- ... 06&vxp=mtr

Some initial thoughts:

1. The unit wasn't ordered with the "DB Killer". Unfortunately, that means, according to GPR, it comes with NO DB Killers - rear or front (perforated cone). Based on my emails with them since the muffler arrived (VERY fast responses BTW), they indicate that when ordered with 'the' DB killer, (30 euros) ones gets BOTH types. No DB killer means - neither uder the assumption user is going for a 'race'(or non-EU homologated) configuration. Sort of makes sense, and I should have ordered the DB killer for rear (to give me options) but a bit of PITA. I suggested they clarify their ads accordingly.

1A The parts kit you see pictured on various Ebay ads is a GENERIC kit. My K1200S/R was labeled as such, but no rear DB killer, use the existing pipe clamp, odd extra bit (see below) etc.

2. The connecting pipe for my '07 K1200R was a bit too long from where it slips into the muffler down to the spring loops. The springs (I got 2 not 12 ;>) were stretched like no tomorrow and it placed the muffler (which is tapered) too far rear-ward. The clamping strap just didn't want to get a good grip on the pipe as a result. I had 5/8" cut off at a local muffler shop. It fits better, but probably could have gone as much as 0.75 or 1". That said, see later

3. The new GPR-side of the exhaust 'ball joint' (sigh...) didn't fit quite as well as the stock water-boiler unit's. Once clamped (must use existing clamp), I have a small low-pressure leak (no sealant used) where the clamped 1/2s meet. Makes sense as when you look at pipes, there will be some slight back pressure there. Under the assumption that the clamp has something of a crimping effect, I'll rotate a touch the clamp, re-secure and see if that helps. If not, will use some O2 Sensor-safe HT RTV (or high-temp anti-seize) on joint and re-assemble. No biggie - very small leak.

4. Exhaust looks nice, well made. The black 'anodizing' does scratch easily, but knew that going into it.

5. Running no baffles it has a rich, deep sound with a minor burble on over-run. Not as MotoGP-like as our Termis did on our various Ducs over years, just enough to remind you (decibel level aside) it's not the stock Scud back there. Don't care about any minor performance increases (or lack there of).

6. The sound is probably a hair too 'robust' for my normal use (says something about what our Termis were like, but I'm also older now...) , so will order the DB Killer(s ?) and insert just the rear one to just take the edge off. If a bit too tamed, will just drill some small holes in rim of the rear baffle to decrease the back-pressure a tad.

7. I received some odd extra parts that LOOK like they were designed to lower the pipe or shift it rearward a hair (small figure 8 connector with two mounting holes - but one bolt, washers and nut and stock nut us trapped to OEM muffler... ;> ). It would only lower pipe maybe 3/8" - 1/2" when all said and done and, in hindsight (duh), allow the pipe strap to clamp together FAR tighter, so will try that[/b].

BMW's typical "using how many custom parts & how weird can be do this ?" manner (we've owned R1150R, R1100S and two R1150GSs in past) in designing the muffler hanger/pipe connector (I'll ignore the #$%^ who designed the looks of the things) results in a very thick receiving mount for the strap and this limits it's ability to clamp as tight as would like given pipe is tapered. That said, given the "...torpedo in the water...!" size & weight of the muffler (my $%Y^ it weighs a ton vs. the GPR), it probably needed a massive, rubber-isolated mounting point.

8. Instructions sucked - but that's no shock (ordered from MV Tech lately?) it's not brain surgery. Sole head scratchers are/were why no 'base' sound baffle in kit and what were the extra, not-so-obvious-use parts for?

Above may sound critical, but the pipe is very nice for the price and the shipping FAST and cheap (Italy to my hands in Nova Scotia in 5 days for $20). Customer service is very prompt - send emails on Friday afternoon (Atlantic time), responses in my mailbox early next day. Their English was FAR better than my Italian.

The muffler is well constructed, light and looks smart, but some more QC and attention to detail on fitment of the connecting pipe and why parts A,B, C were or were not in bag would be nice -- you may have to channel your inner McGyver a bit.

I'll tweak it, run it for the season and may move to another Akra, Remus, etc unit next year - or may not. Given how #$%^& mind-bending and smooth this bike is, all I wanted in an aftermarket pipe was to start the process of de-uglifying the rear end (some form of replacement hanger is next), drop any weight I could (grab rails already gone - wife has own bike) and get rid of the sewing-machine on 'roids sound of the beast.
Last edited by Conner999 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conner999
Smith

Postby Conner999 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Update

As per above, under the assumption (hope?) the stock clamp had a bit of a crimping effect on the two flared pipe couplings (by O2 sensor), I loosened clamp, put a touch of high-tem anti-seize on the bolt threads, rotated the clamp mabe 10-15 degrees and re-torqued. To avoid being struck-down by the Germanic 'you violated the rules' Gods, the "Sonde" indicator si still ' somewhat aligned with the O2 sensor (it's an exhaust connection and calmp for God's sake). On start and warm up, the small leak aapears to have been resolved.

Also, using the small 'figure 8' hanger adapter ? (it's hard to describe), did shift the clamping strap more than enough reward to get a good snug grip on the muffler. However, I may have come up with another solution that will work as well and get rid of the second connection.

Ordered the DB killer and so will see how may actual parts show up.

All-in-all happy with unit so far. Wish I didn't have to tweak, but for the $$ paid (or more for that matter), it's nice kit and recommended.
Conner999
Smith

Postby RobC on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 am

The GPR sounds sounds and looks great. However, I would like to know if anybody who has this fitted has noticed any change in the fuel consumption and or if the engine mapping had to be played about with?
Sometimes spooning leads to forking
RobC
Smith

Postby cmack on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 am

I recently purchased the Carbon/Inox GPR Evlolution for my 2007 K1200R Sport (same pipe as first pic), and couldn't find much on it, so just wanted to add my impressions. First, the build quality is impeccable! I purchased on eBay w/dB killers, and the pipe was delivered to me stateside directly from GPR in 4 days. It came boxed and wrapped in a re-usable black GPR presentation bag (velveteen with velcro and cording to seal). The mounting hardware came in a separate smaller matching bag, which was a nice touch. Attached to the pipe was a card that identified the pipe and bike model and said "handmade for XXXX" insert my name and was physically signed by the assembler. A+ for presentation! Rear dB killer came already mounted, and the front dB killer was provided separately in the hardware bag.

I decided to mount the bike with just the rear dB killer to get an idea of sound. The mounting was a piece of cake. Removal of the factory bazooka was harder! Man, that thing could double as a boat anchor! I didn't do a weigh-in comparison, but the GPR is MUCH lighter, and yet still feels substantial. Even the the carbon is nice and thick. Anyway, perfrect fitment and angle with no adjustments needed. I did need to trim the rubber that wraps around the mounting strap, as previously mentioned, but that was the only hiccup and took all of a 30 seconds to remedy with my shop scissors. After firing it up, I noted that sound is much deeper/throatier, but not loud even without the 2nd dB killer. I likely will just leave the rear in place and not use the front. At idle, it's only slightly louder than stock. Upon revving to about 3K, it's maybe twice as loud. Over 3K, and it has a nice visceral growl that does start to get loud, but it isn't noticeable at speed.

First ride out, I immediately noticed that it smoothed out the low RPMs some. I did a BMC filter at the same time and removed the snorkel, and any sign of hesitation/stumble now is GREATLY reduced, even just off idle. My KR Sport wasn't as bad as some other K's I've ridden, but was noticeable. Having ridden with the slight hesitation/stumble since new (original owner), I can now honestly say that with the pipe/filter, someone not familiar with the K's mannerisms wouldn't detect it at all now! Hard acceleration reveals no apparent loss in torque, but the engine now wants to spool much faster! Man does it climb through the RPMs fast! I must have bounced off the rev limiter 3 or 4x the first time out! Fast roll-offs will get you some burble/slight back-fire, but it's about as minimal as I've heard in an aftermarket exhaust. No loud popping to speak of! Heat also won't be an issue, as it runs much cooler than the factory pipe now that the Cat is gone. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the pipe. For those still shopping, keep the GPR in mind! I've previously had a full Laser system (R1150R) and a Remus (R1200GS) and although I liked both setups, I would give the nod to the GPR as being the best of the 3 in terms of build quality, sound, and value. Well done GPR!
2007 K1200R Sport White Aluminum/Black
cmack
Smith

Re: GPR exhaust for K-S and K-R

Postby Lotus99 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

So I ordered a FURORE exhaust for my K1300S. It arrived fast! Very happy overall. Cost ~230 pounds (350 USD) including shipping. I'll just quickly post my first impressions.

I love its look, I think the black goes really well with my bike, and I don't mind the non-tapered look of this exhaust vs. their GPE exhaust - I actually prefer this.

Only issue so far are that the two holes on the coupler that the OEM heat shield is supposed to screw onto were made of a larger than OEM bolt size, so I'll need to go get bigger bolts. It seems like it might also touch the coupler at one point, so I'm not sure what I can do about that - maybe a local shop can bend it a bit for me.

Couldn't get the C clip that holds in the upper dB killer out for the life of me, so I can't post impressions of sound with both baffles out, but with the lower one out, I think it's about 20% louder than stock. I will definitely take out the second baffle too.

Here's a pic:

09 Tri-colour K1300S with all the goodies
Lotus99
Smith

Postby tbone70 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

Chaps

I have a 2007 K1200S and put an Akro exhaust on and found when filtering through traffic at around 35/40mph the bike just kangarooed along. I searched every forum and that seemed to be the norm. Open then bike up and it was fine. I spoke to Akro direct and they just laughed and told me to go fit a PC3/4 and get it mapped! I mentioned that wasn’t on their site at the time of buying – all I got was “tough titty”.

So I flogged it on ebay at a loss ;(

Anyhow, all I want is a better looking can, no frills, no difference to performance, no changing the way it handles, especially when filtering.

Can anyone, hand on heart, say that fitting a GPR exhaust did not change the way it handled at 35/40 and without needing a power commander.
tbone70
Smith

Postby Bad Breath on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:31 pm

I have a remus and it is flawless.
2007 K1200s Tricolour, Remus Hexacone, Evo Race filters, Sargent Seat. Waiting to see what my dealer says about a power commander.
Bad Breath
Iceman

Postby tbone70 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:27 pm

On your strapline it says waiting to speak to dealer about a PC3.. what would that be for? Just to change the mapping for a particular reason/range
tbone70
Smith

Next

Return to SPORT BIKES