Corbin seat on K1200S

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Corbin seat on K1200S

Postby Used2be on Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm

I finally decided to spend the exorbitant $800 to put a Corbin seat on my bike. I've owned two other Corbin seats for other bikes and have been pleased with them in the past. I had some slight fitment problems with those seats, but Corbin made them right in the end. The seat for the K1200S fit just fine right off the bat, which was reassuring for me. I bought the basic front rider, back passenger, and back rest model. No heat and didn't want the smuggler option. Did a 400 mile day on it over the weekend, and it was very comfortable for me. Did that ride solo, but did take some short local rides with a pillion on board, and she liked the passenger seat. For the K1200S, with the acceleration it has in first and second gear, the raised back portion for the rider is greatly appreciated! I feel much more secure with that backstop when the throttle is cracked wide open in the lower gears. Much better than trying to hang on with just the hands. I usually just shift my weight in turns enough to put one cheek off the seat, and the sharper edge of the Corbin, although different than the stock seat, didn't make it any more difficult once I got used to it.

I did like the new position of the passenger, being up and back compared to the stock seat. She felt the same way, and didn't have to worry about sliding into me as much during normal riding. The only change was under hard braking, where the reach to the tank for her was further to brace herself. She liked the feel and position of the back rest, which was very comfortable for her. The seat as well gave more area for support, and she felt it would be better on a long ride.

I'm happy with the look, the feel, and the performance of the seat, and except for the ridiculous dollar amount, very pleased with it.

Steve

Used2be
Smith

Postby 2xm3 on Wed May 31, 2006 8:39 pm

I've had mine for about 1500 mi now and really like it,did 640mi in 2 days and felt great. My wife really loves the backrest. Actually it fit really well, snapped right on (I was ready for a real problem after reading some posts) All in All its a really nice seat.
Now: K1200s
Then:
Zx-11
95 GpZ 1100
GS 1150ESE
86 Gpz 1100
K 1000rs
Gpz 750 T
xs 1100 ms
xj 1100

"there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"...............
2xm3
Smith

Re: Corbin seat on K1200S

Postby Eka on Wed May 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Used2be wrote:I'm happy with the look, the feel, and the performance of the seat, and except for the ridiculous dollar amount, very pleased with it.

This is what i like. You buy a bike for you and do the changes for yourself. Someones just buy a bike to fulfill the expectations of others. For me it looks a little strange to see that back rest, but who i'm to judge anyones needs. Excellent!
Dixi et animam levavi
Current: HP2 Megamoto 2007 + K1600GT 2011 + HP2 Sport (reg. 2011) + Husqvarna TR 650 Terra 2013
Ex BMW's:
HP2 Sport 10/2008,
K1200S 5/2006 bumblebee, 19600km , MAB-power turbokit, STM Slipper clutch, all the extras and more...
K1200S 4/2005, 36000km bumblebee, K1200RS 2003, R1200C 2000
Eka
Morpheus
Morpheus

Postby Used2be on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:36 am

Eka,

You know the power this bike has, and the backrest gives me peace of mind that my passenger won't slip off the back if I catch her unprepared for a burst of acceleration! It still might scare her, but at least she won't be on the ground in traffic when I do it. I did buy the bike to be a legitimate tourer, but sure do enjoy being able to dust off unknowing sport bikes while keeping the luggage and backrest on the bike, maintaining that thin veneer of touring exterior. Although that veneer got a lot thinner when I added the Akrapovic to the package. And Evoluzione's filter kit added a little roar from the intake as well.

Steve

Used2be
Smith

Postby Diljeet on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:40 am

Your bike looks awesome! Is that the slip on or full system?
Diljeet
Smith

Postby Used2be on Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:00 pm

Diljeet,

I bought the slip-on and the filter kit from Evoluzione, and while the seat of the pants improvement is pretty subjective, the change in how much more quickly the bike revs to redline can't be denied! I felt for street use that the full exhaust system wasn't needed, and I already have more motor than I feel comfortable using in first gear, anyway. Thanks for your comment, but BMW takes most of the credit, of course.

Steve
Used2be
Smith

Postby Diljeet on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:36 pm

I really like the clean look of your bike. No stickers on the exhaust can or on the bodywork. I think it is a very mature look.
Diljeet
Smith

Postby FOODTECH on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:11 am

Just a bit of a warning for Corbin seat owners when in full touring mode!
Yes, its a nice seat, got mine in imitation carbon leather/vinyl sides and stitched seat area. 1500m round Scotland last week and the wife never got a sore backside, result! (She didnt like the standard at all). My bit at the front is handy for big accelleration but overall not enough padding for me (I did get a sore ass!) and cant say its more comfortable than standard. It did fit well to the standard bike. BUT it doesnt fit with the SW Motech rack. That is untill you drill out and remove the 2 outer support rubbers then get your 18 stone mate to compreess it down onto the catch. Not the top answer to fit it on the morning of departure! Nightmare. The rack plate is also situated just half an inch too close to the seat to allow easy removal. Its usable but the seat body sits on the grab handle parts of the rack arms which will probably wear through the leather. The support rubbers will want fitting again (hope its easy) to sit against the standard grab handles when fitted. Dont know whether to make custom rack arms yet for the few times a year I use a Givvy box. Shame really when you pay good money out but obviously they manufacture for the standard bike. Ken.
HP4
K1300S Lava Orange
Ex - S1000RR SPORT (In Stealth Thunder Grey- 202 RWHP)
Ex - K1200S (Wasp - 165 RWHP)
FOODTECH
Cowboy

Postby Diljeet on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:57 am

You must always check when mixing components from different manufacturers. They all make their parts to fit with stock components or to match with their own accessories. Maybe corbin will produce a Beetle Bag that is larger than the factory side bags and will integrate with the bike better than the Givi which are really wide.
Diljeet
Smith

Postby FOODTECH on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:26 am

Yeah, its not the side bags though, just the rack bracket and grab rail arms of the SW Motech not the right shape. The BM post does screw into them to use the BM sport panniers as I did.
HP4
K1300S Lava Orange
Ex - S1000RR SPORT (In Stealth Thunder Grey- 202 RWHP)
Ex - K1200S (Wasp - 165 RWHP)
FOODTECH
Cowboy

Postby don-01 on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:10 am

Hope you are still out there Used2be.

How is your Corbin going, are you still happy with the seat?

Don
don-01
Smith

Postby Zorgen on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:04 pm

The seat really fits the KS very well. Does this seat come with the heated option?

Never mind....looking at another post it looks like a $100 dollar difference.
Zorgen
Cowboy

Postby Used2be on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:11 am

Hello Don-01,

I haven't been logging on very often lately, and was surprised to see my post brought current with some more comments. I'm still very happy with the Corbin, no problems at all, and it is probably slightly more comfortable with more miles on it. I do like the ability to fine tune the angle of the passenger back rest for the needs of different passengers.

Steve
Used2be
Smith

Postby arcticflipper on Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 am

Doesn't the pillion that sits back against the backrest affect handling a bit?
Changes the ride?

From past experience when the pillion sits up I found that the ride changed a lot. I didn't like that too much.

But could be a personal thing.
arcticflipper
Smith

Postby Used2be on Thu May 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi Arctic,

Sure, when the pillion sits up it's a whole different bike. But when we're going in a straight line and she's more comfortable doing that, it doesn't bother me. When we're cornering she knows to lean into me and follow my body movements. Kinda like something else that's fun!

Not a personal thing, just physics.

Steve
Used2be
Smith

Return to SPORT BIKES