Best tires for K1200R?

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Best tires for K1200R?

Postby arubin1200 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 am

Hi all:

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the best replacement tires for my K1200R...any suggestions? I know about the Michelin Pilot Power, but what about the Pirelli Diablo Strada, for instance?

Thanks!

Aaron
arubin1200
Smith

Riding situation ...

Postby Kiwi_K1200S on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:33 am

For commuting or riding hard?

I like the M3's for my hard riding, as I do not commute.

Depends what your riding situation is.

Cheers

Peter
02/2006 Build K1200S
Granite Grey
ABS
Evoluzione Race Filters
Clear Turn Signals
LED Tail Light
Ilmberger Carbon Hugger
Ilmberger Carbon Fender
Ilmberger Carbon Belly Pan
Akrapovic Hexagonal Titanium System
Galespeed Wheels
Sports Luggage
Kiwi_K1200S
Cowboy

Best tires for K1200R?

Postby arubin1200 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 am

Hi Peter (and others):

Sadly, my ignorance is showing: Who makes the M3 tires?

Thanks.

Aaron
arubin1200
Smith

Postby Happyman on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:43 am

The M3 is a Metzler.
Try the ContiSport Attack (Continental). They actually have a specific size and rating for the k1200R.
Life is good, I want it all!
Happyman
Cowboy

Postby seitman on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:14 am

I have been using the M3s for 5000kms and I am very pleased. They have the same grip today that they had the first day, the wear is not much and they are very stable and predictable.
seitman
Smith

Postby Solaris on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm

My stock M1's lasted 8500 km. It's a nice tyre when new but they get too square and the handling becomes uneven when you lean, closer to the end-of-life (say... after pergaps 5500 km).

Then I changed for BT020. 9500 km. It's a good tyre if you want to travel. For commuting not so much. You can feel the rear drifting under acceleration with the bike at a certain angle.

Then the BT014. It's nice... but they now have 6000 km and.. KAPUT! :shock: No thanks.

Saturday I will get back to Metzeler...this time the M3. I hope they last longer than the M1's.
Valentina: White/Blue K1200S - ABS - ESA - Side panniers - Heated grips - Clear indicators - Arrow titanium slip-on - K&N air filter - Rear wheel carbon hugger
Solaris
Viper

Re: Best tires for K1200R?

Postby stevebaker on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 am

arubin1200 wrote:I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the best replacement tires for my K1200R...any suggestions? I know about the Michelin Pilot Power, but what about the Pirelli Diablo Strada, for instance?

I ride my K1200S as much as I can and though I like to do the odd trackday and make progress, I couldn't keep going back for Sportec M-1s.

I swapped to Metzeler Roadtec Z6 about 4000 miles ago and they have been fine. Maybe a little less grip - you can spin the tyre up a bit easier - but the life is vastly better: they are just noticably losing their profile now.

Can't speak for their performance on a track day... Which makes me consider trying Sportec M3 for the summer.
stevebaker
Smith

Postby GENARO on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:18 am

I've tried both M1's and M3's, and both are excellent tires. Nevertheless, I can say that the M3's are much better and way ahead. The handling of the bike is improved and so is the grip (duration in hard riding is almost similar). They are really confident to ride with.

I use to enter into the Jarama Circuit here in Madrid and whilst with the M1's I had to take care with the gas, with the M3's I've had no problems at all. I will continue sticking to the M3's...
GENARO
2005 K1200R
GENARO
Smith

Postby stevebaker on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:54 am

GENARO wrote:I can say that the M3's are much better and way ahead. The handling of the bike is improved and so is the grip (duration in hard riding is almost similar). They are really confident to ride with.

Great tip :) I've booked the fitment of a pair of M3s for a couple of weeks time
stevebaker
Smith

Sticky Tires

Postby Zorgen on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 am

I also would like to purchase tires for my K12S which is still on order. I'm looking for a tire that is ridulously sticky. My bike will be used primarily for pleasure and twisties. If the tire last 1500 miles so be it. So, what is the best non track, sticky street tire that money can buy?

Anyone?
Zorgen
Cowboy

Postby Zorgen on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:00 pm

arubin1200 wrote:Hi all:

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the best replacement tires for my K1200R...any suggestions? I know about the Michelin Pilot Power, but what about the Pirelli Diablo Strada, for instance?

Thanks!

Aaron

I found this incredible tire review I believe Serge had on a previous post. Thanks Serge...check this out.

http://www.zinio.com/express?issue=77606059

And...after reading the review I'm looking at the Metzeler Racetec
Last edited by Zorgen on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zorgen
Cowboy

Postby teerex on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 pm

M3, need we say more ? :wink:
K1200R yellow, Akrapovic CF/Steel racing system, rear hugger, BMC dual filters, all extras...
teerex
Raven

Postby Zorgen on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:13 am

teerex wrote:M3, need we say more ? :wink:

I don't know much about tires. Are the Metzeler Racetec tires meant for only the track? Is the Metzeler Racetec tire the M3 tire you guys keep talking about?
Zorgen
Cowboy

Postby GENARO on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 am

Hi Zorgen,

I think this will clear your doubts. Get yourself into the next link and see for yourself that what your are looking for (pleasure non-track street rides with twisties) are the M3's.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/media/07_me ... FYKJOPCFEY

You will see a chart comparing various aspects of different Metzeler street tyres... I think that you will find out that for our bikes, the compromise allround winner is the M3 tyre...

Hope this helps!
GENARO
2005 K1200R
GENARO
Smith

Postby Zorgen on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:39 am

GENARO wrote:Hi Zorgen,

I think this will clear your doubts. Get yourself into the next link and see for yourself that what your are looking for (pleasure non-track street rides with twisties) are the M3's.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/media/07_me ... FYKJOPCFEY

You will see a chart comparing various aspects of different Metzeler street tyres... I think that you will find out that for our bikes, the compromise allround winner is the M3 tyre...

Hope this helps!

Genaro, thanks a lot! I can see now the tire I'm interested in is the Sportec M3. :)
Zorgen
Cowboy

Postby jewilson on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm on the second set of Pilot Power on my K12S; on my Yamaha FZ1 I have Pirelli Diablo Corsa. The Pilots seem to hang better is fast curves and while the Pirelli seem to be a bit more nimble, the bike flicks quicker with them. The Pilots also seem to be more stable at higher speeds and I petty sold on them. While the M3 are very good tires they have not received reviews that put them ahead of the Michelin Pilot Power. There was some talk early about the M3 lasting longer because of the compound but newer review don't agree with that. As for as the M1 are concerned all the tires I discussed are better and will last longer. Also, the Michelin cost less.

LOL
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby G-LOC on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm going to need some new tread soon myself. Can you guys post what kind of millage you have been getting?? Has anyone tried Conti Road attack.
G-LOC
Smith

Postby jewilson on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:26 am

I would say the Conti Road attack or a step down from the M3, the Pilot Power and the PerPirelli Diablo Corsa. If you want a longer milage tire you should consider the Michelin Power Road.
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby G-LOC on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:45 pm

What kind of millage are we talking about??
G-LOC
Smith

Postby jewilson on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 pm

A performance tire you buy will not be a high mileage tire. The way you ride make a huge difference it the mileage you get. The OEM M1 tire on my k12s was gone at 1800 miles the Michelin Pilot Power will last me about 3500 miles. I would expect other performance tire to last me about the same. Now you can purchase harder tires that are lower priced, like the Michelin Pilot Roads that will last longer. However, with the K having so much power it eats tires very fast.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby GPS on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:44 am

Zorgen wrote:And...after reading the review I'm looking at the Metzeler Racetec

and look at them you should. they were the spec tire for the powercup race bikes, but yes, they are suitable for street use. it'll take a second mortgage to buy a set, but they are absolutely the stickiest tire if have ever used... BAR NONE and i've used alot over the years.

even more impressive was the mileage i managed to squeeze out of them between street and track use on a bike as heavy as the k. i got about 2500 miles, before the rear started ever started to slip when leaned over (didn't really expect even that). i used them in temperature ranges of 95F degree days on the street all the way down to when the morning temperature was easily at or below freezing (30-35F) at the track, but never broke the 50 degree mark during the course of the day.

actually i would've gotten more miles out of them, but heavy power use while leaned over literally machined a 45 degree bevel out of the right side of the tire. ya know the 2" wide flat spot most touring guys get down the center after 4k miles...? well i had that same flat spot, but shifted about 1" away from the right side edge. :lol: it was that extremely cold day, so i don't think the tires were ever really working in their correct temperature the whole time.

that being said however, they still STUCK. this is evidenced by the fact, that more than a few people found themselves knocked out cold (no pun intended) and face down on the pavement when they lost the front or lost the rear on their sportbikes that day. most weighing close to 100lbs less. go figure...? i've got a 2nd set of racetecs i'll be spooning on this season. k1 (blue label soft) front, k2 (green label medium/soft) rear. i'll be inflating with nitrogen. between the use of nitrogen, and the use of tire warmers during any track day, i'm pretty sure i can get through the whole season. by comparison i got through about 2/3 of the way through the season last year. for the few miles i ride, that's good enough for me.
'06 K12R, build 10/05, true
power cup slip-on, 190/55 Metzlers, PowerCommander,
GPS powerbar, single Evo filter.
GPS... RACING AHEAD...!!!
GPS
Raven

Postby G-LOC on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Has anyone tried the Conti Sport Attack?? If so How many miles??
G-LOC
Smith

Postby SteveRed on Wed May 02, 2007 6:32 am

Dunlop Qualifiers are ACE!!! 8) All over the Pilot Powers for feel IMO
Custom Ducati Red 2006 K1200R.. (my gallery.. http://designingmemories.smugmug.com/ga ... /137813552 )
SteveRed
Cowboy

Postby jewilson on Wed May 02, 2007 11:02 am

SteveRed wrote:Dunlop Qualifiers are ACE!!! 8) All over the Pilot Powers for feel IMO

I have not owned the Qualifiers and I don't ever see them beating Michellin at the track. So have you had Pilot Power before? So what do you think they do better.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby joema on Wed May 02, 2007 5:44 pm

jewilson wrote:...I have not owned the Qualifiers and I don't ever see them beating Michellin at the track. So have you had Pilot Power before? So what do you think they do better...

I've run two sets of Pilot Powers, one set of Qualifiers. Both are excellent tires. I personally prefer the more linear turn-in of the Qualifiers, but it's a preference thing.

The Pilot Powers are the most common track day "street" tire, and are generally highly rated by end users and magazine tests.

However the Dunlop Qualifier was rated higher in the December 2005 Sport Rider tire test.

Position - Tire - overall score:

(1) Dunlop Qualifier - 91.4
(2) Michelin Pilot Power - 89.3
(3) Bridgestone BT-014 - 89.0
(4) Metzeler Sportec M-1 - 87.3
(5) Pirelli Diablo - 86.0
(6) Avon Viper Sport - 83.7
(7) Continental Contisport Attack - 80.7
(8) Maxxis Supermaxx M6029 - 79.0
(9) Tomahawk T3 Sport - 73.1

Above was just one test, and didn't include the newer Metzeler M-3, Michelin Pilot Power 2CT or Pirelli Diablo Corsa III.

Having tried the M-1, M-3, Pilot Power, Qualifier and Diablo Corsa III, my two favorites are the Diablo Corsa III and Qualifier. However I'll probably try the Pilot Power 2CT next, as I haven't tried it before.
joema
Iceman

Next

Return to SPORT BIKES