K 1200 R...best aftermarket exhaust upgrades???...

Talk all Sport & Performance Bike Topics. Talk Motorcycle Racing & the State of the Two-Wheel Industry.

Powercone

Postby don-01 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:20 am

brash47 wrote:I had the Remus Powercone put on mine. The baffle is easily removed as you can see from the rear picture...just pull the retaining ring and pull the baffle out.

Without the baffle, it is EXTREMELY loud. I don't know about any HP gains, but I know the sound is great and very reminiscent of MotoGP bikes.Image

Brash47, I am interested in getting the same Remus Powercone. Can you please let me know where you got yours, how much and do you know the exact part number?
Thanks.
don-01
Smith

Postby john craft on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:18 am

I've just installed a Staintune on my KS and am well pleased with it. I'm aware that others do not fancy the brand, but I'm hope my luck is better than theirs. It look magnificent, weighs much less than stock and sounds quite nice--louder but not loud. I'm wondering how Shiva's failed exactly?
JAC
Former scoots:
1974 Honda XL350
1979 Honda CBX
1982 Kawasaki Z100R (ELR)
1985 BMW K100RS
1987 Honda Hurricane 1000
1989 Kawasaki ZX-10
1998 Honda CBRXX1100
and now!
2006 BMWK1200S
john craft
Smith

AKRAPOVIC RACING & EVOLUTION EXHAUST SYSTEM K12S/R

Postby nunuk on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Some pics of the hexagonal :wink:

I've lost more than six kilograms and won more than 9 hp with the change (Akrapovic dixit), the sound without the dBkiller is simply amazing (need earplugs!!!), a kind of airplane turbine. Highly recommend it.

V'sssss
nunuk
Smith

A couple of Remus Powercone comments

Postby Jazzyjase on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:33 pm

I have a couple of statements to make about the Remus Powercone (fitted to K1200R).

1. Having recently dented the black painted section of the can, I took it to my preferred repairer (who did a great job of removing the dent). He had to strip the can down to its component parts to fix it and explained that that virtually all the wadding from inside had disintegrated and been blasted away. Quite surprising as I had only covered about 1500 miles on the bike at that point.
2. He made a particular point of explaining to me that he had had to re-tackweld the circlip holding the baffle in. This would incline me to believe that the baffle is designed NOT to be removable although the circlip does give the impression that it is. The original tack must have been very small, though, as I don't remember seeing it before the repair.
Jazzyjase
Smith

Re: AKRAPOVIC RACING & EVOLUTION EXHAUST SYSTEM K12S/R

Postby drade on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:38 am

nunuk wrote:Some pics of the hexagonal :wink:

I've lost more than six kilograms and won more than 9 hp with the change (Akrapovic dixit), the sound without the dBkiller is simply amazing (need earplugs!!!), a kind of airplane turbine. Highly recommend it.

V'sssss

does the carbon hexagonal come as a full system for the K1200R??
ARILIA TUONO 2006
drade
Smith

Postby nunuk on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:28 am

nunuk
Smith

Akra Power under 5K full system versus slip on

Postby don-01 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:55 pm

Nunuk and other Akra owners,

I am considering the Akra for my K12S and would like to buy the hexagonal can, however, in Australia you can only buy the hex can in the full system. The only thing that bothers me is the drop in power under 5,000 revs. I do most of my riding under 5K so am interested in how the power feels down low compared to standard.
Thanks,
Don
don-01
Smith

Postby Solaris on Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:32 pm

I am quite happy with my titanium Arrow slip-on.

Before installing it I weighted both stock and new muffler. Stock can is 7,5 kg. Arrow is approx. 2,3 kg (with the dB killer on it).

I don't know about power, because I never took my bike to a dynamometer test bank, but in terms of use here's what I think:

- Bike is more balanced now (no longer drifts to the right when I take my hands from the grips)
- Sound is just great. I prefer to keep the dB killer on it. OK... without it is far more exciting, but, specially after last sioftware update and k&N filters, without the baffle I get too many after-exaust blasts... not healthy!
- Fuel consumption, somehow, looks to have imprioved (perhaps the K&N filter'?).
- Looks very good (IMMO) and much lighter and elegant than the stock one. I think the chrome look of stock do not fit this bike.

Some pics

Valentina: White/Blue K1200S - ABS - ESA - Side panniers - Heated grips - Clear indicators - Arrow titanium slip-on - K&N air filter - Rear wheel carbon hugger
Solaris
Viper

Re: Akra Power under 5K full system versus slip on

Postby Imola on Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:04 pm

don-01 wrote:Nunuk and other Akra owners,

I am considering the Akra for my K12S and would like to buy the hexagonal can, however, in Australia you can only buy the hex can in the full system. The only thing that bothers me is the drop in power under 5,000 revs. I do most of my riding under 5K so am interested in how the power feels down low compared to standard.
Thanks,
Don

Nippynormans have the Akra hex in slip-on,
http://www.nippynormans.com/products.asp?dept=358
Imola
Smith

Postby nunuk on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:50 am

I have no Dyno charts to proof what I'll say, but I haven't had any drops in power at low rpm after installing my Akrapovic. On the contrary, I've noticed an improvement, a very small one, it's true, but improvement after all. This is how I feel about it.

Afterwards, I'm almost sure you can buy the slip on in any online distributor without having to buy the full exhaust system.

Good luck!
nunuk
Smith

Postby Happyman on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

evoluzione wrote:we have dyno'd several different configurations of full systems & slip-ons. give us a call and i can give a pretty good idea of what works (and where). we are also still planning on an open house/dyno shootout with as many of the exhaust we can get our hands on - i will post the results when available.

Ken....did you ever post results from this?
Life is good, I want it all!
Happyman
Cowboy

Postby evoluzione on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:52 pm

i posted the dyno info several times but here it is again:

here is a comparison of various slip-ons run on an otherwise stop k1200s

here is the laser hotcam slip-on vs. stock

here is the laser powercup slip-on vs. stock

here is the ztechnik slip-on vs. stock

here is the remus revolution slip-on vs. stock

here is the leo vince oval slip-on vs. stock

here are some dyno graphs of the full systems (these were run on a modified stage one bike):

here is the akrapovic full system

here is the laser powercup full system

here is the remus full system

here is the ztechnik full system

hope this helps.
regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
phone: 951.639.0951
evoluzione
Raven

Postby Gazk12 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:47 am

Well I have just sat here and read all three pages ":shock:" and I think I am now going to smash open the Piggy Bank and get myself a full Remus system with a short power cone in Titanium.

All I need now is the roads to dry out and I’ll be out there giving BMW a bad name. :wink:

Thanks for all the information. :D
GAZK12

BMW K1300s "09".

http://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1#p/u

A car will move your body; motorcycles move your soul.
Gazk12
Cowboy

Location: Languishing in the South of France for Six months but normally Leicester, UK

Postby Speed King on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Wunderlich has in their catalogue a "Laser Hotcam PowerCup" (NEUBest.-Nr.: 8010066, Für K 1200 S und K 1200 R), 689,37 €

Is that exhaust a "normal" Laser Hotcam, or is there a many different kinds of "hotcams"?

Do anybody know, if the "sports" and "legal" inserts are included in the hotcam packs, or do those belong only in the "dual sound" exhausts (and sold separately to the Horcam buyers)?[/url]
K1200R '06
Speed King
Smith

LASER OFFERINGS

Postby Robert Foster on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 pm

Greetings,

The LASER Muffler above is the Discontinued PowerCup REPLIKA (NOT THE PowerCup RACE SOM)

Here are the shiping units from LASER/Foster RAD:

THE LASER HotCam DS (Same as above without the heel guard)

THE LASER OEM BMW Accessory HotCam available thru BMW dealers. Be advised that this unit has a cat. conv. in the intermediate pipe:

THE LASER DuoTech:

AND OF COURSE THE LASER PowerCup Series RACE Muffler (ONLY 5 Left):

Please contact me at Robert@Laser-Exhausts.com if you have any questions.
Cheers,

Robert Foster
Director
LASER Engineering Exhausts
RapidBike USA
DynoStar USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
718.468-4680
Sales@RapidBikeUSA.com
Robert@FosterRAD.com
Robert Foster
Smith

Postby Aviator on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:11 am

Mr. Foster, I was on your Foster-rad web site and see a CF can in the picture. Is that an option? As a slip on?
Aviator
Smith

Postby coyote on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Why is nobody talking at all about the Leo Vince?

I had them on my 2007 Aprilia Tuono and they are sweet. I just bought one for the K12s that should arrive this week.

Any thoughts?
coyote

Postby deadbird on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 pm

coyote wrote:Why is nobody talking at all about the Leo Vince?

I had them on my 2007 Aprilia Tuono and they are sweet. I just bought one for the K12s that should arrive this week.

Any thoughts?

I believe thats what Ken is running on his bikes now.
S&G2U

DT1 E
Thunderbird SS
R1100SBX
K1200R JetSled
K1200R JetSled II, the Emotional Ride
(157 R.W.H.P.??? Oh Yeah...)
RSVP 1000 Factory. Shit that hit the ground hard...
deadbird
Raven

Postby jewilson on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:56 pm

evoluzione wrote:i posted the dyno info several times but here it is again:
hope this helps.

Ken,

Which one of these full systems was th loudest? Be side having a full exhaust were they any other changes, filters, Dimsport. Also what was the BMW software version. It really interesting in the low end power from the highest performance system.

Thanks
Jim
Cheers
Jim
jewilson
Racer
Racer

Postby BMK12 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:10 pm

coyote wrote:Why is nobody talking at all about the Leo Vince?

Any thoughts?

You mean something like this?

It is sweet, nice sound (no DB killer) and has saved some weight over the stock cannon.
'06 K1200S, DOM Aug 2005
Granite Grey, ESA, Evo Race Filters, Leo Vince Slip-on
BMK12
Cowboy

Postby Shal on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:22 am

I have mounted this one from shark, with cat and really nice sound =)
Shal
Smith

Postby coyote on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 pm

My Carbon Leo Vince Oval - E slip on got here at 3:30 and it was up on the rack, installed, and off the rack by 4pm (I have my own shop in my home with all the goodies like pneumatic lifts, etc).

My observations - It's good, a very slight aggressive rasp without the silencer, and thankfully - the throttle is a lot more responsive. With the stock can I would quick rip the throttle on a downshift so the bike doesn't lurch going down - but it was always lazy. Now, uncorked, it's quick to rev and the sound is deep and rich.

Quality is VERY good, fit was a slam dunk, and I have no issues. The best part, is the throttle response but it sure is nice not to be driving George Jetson's family whirrrrrling spaceship anymore!!!!!!!!

Now it sounds like a beast!!!!!!!!
coyote

Postby WGreene on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:05 am

I'M GOING TO THE REMUS POWERCONE AND MY DEALER SAID IF I CAN'T STAND A LITTLE BACKFIRING THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE. DON'T BUY IT. NO PROGRAMMMING IS GOING TO CHANGE IT. PERIOD.
WGreene
Iceman

Postby maxk12s on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:50 am

OK guys just thought I'd drop in on this discussion as well. I've just bought a K1200S and was looking to upgrade the exhaust. I was thinking about an Akrapovic system from Evoluzione in the States because it is sooo much cheaper than UK prices but I think this is a full race system without removable baffles.

I would be interested to hear from any of the guys in the UK about this particularly from the point of view of MOTs in the UK. I like the idea of a full Akrapovic system but not the hassle of having to change end can every time the MOT comes around. So it may have to be a system with the removable baffle.
MaxK12s
maxk12s
Smith

PreviousNext

Return to SPORT BIKES